Thursday, February 9, 2012

Turning Pages

Hello there lit lovers! I'm reporting to you from the coziest spot on my bed. I've been home sick for three days (a living testament of how stress can wreak havoc on your immune system) and when you sum up the hours I've been sleeping it probably amounts to about one and a half of those days (the flu is no joke). Today is the first day my brain has been remotely capable of putting words together worthy of being posted. Fortunately, I'm at the age where my mother is still my primary caretaker. I dread the college days ahead when I'll have to learn how to cope without her maternal nursing abilities. 

The positive (if there is one) about being sick is the ample amount of time you receive to read and watch TV before you're driven insane by cabin fever, so of course I've been pouring through some Jane Eyre adaptations and rereading some of my favorites. My bookshelves are my best friends during sickness, and fond memories also help me weather the storm. 

What I didn't realize, strangely enough, is that there are so many books I have yet to share with you and review for you. Jane Eyre takes up about half of my posts and the other half is strangely vacant. So in the middle of February, I've decided to make a new years resolution (better late than never). This year will be focused on getting new books to your attention. There are some great novels sitting on my bed right now that you might have never read or haven't read in a long time, and they're all worth a look. 

Whenever I have time, I'll be introducing you guys to some of my personal favorites and those posts will be followed by reviews of any adaptations those books happened inspire. Just to know what you're looking forward to, some of these books include: The Count of Monte Cristo, Far from the Madding Crowd, Frankenstein, and A Room with a View and even old childhood favorites such as The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, and The Wind in the Willows. See any new faces? Recognize any old friends? Well then keep yourselves posted because it's going to be a lovely ride and a marvelous adventure! ;)

--Ari (aka Bonnie)

8 comments:

  1. Giveaway here!

    http://365daysoftitanic.blogspot.com/2012/01/january-february-giveaway.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely new layout!

    Get well soon! I'm just recovering from a bout of stomach flu myself. Not fun, I assure you!

    The Count Of Monte Cristo is high om my list to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am unwell I love to read books too. Jane Eyre is of course in my pile but I love to re read some of my childhood favourites which are:

    The Famous Five by Enid Blyton
    The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild
    The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S Lewis
    The Railway Children by E. Nesbit
    Harry Potter by J.K.Rowling
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
    Brambley Hedge by Jill Barklem
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

    Picture books:

    Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet Ahlberg and Allan Ahlberg
    Peepo! by Janet Ahlberg and Allan Ahlberg
    The Jolly Christmas Postman by Janet Ahlberg and Allan Ahlberg
    Bye Bye Baby by Janet Ahlberg and Allan Ahlberg
    Mog and me by Judith Kerr
    Bad Mood Bear by John Richardson
    Alfie by Shirley Hughes

    All these books are very special to me and remind me of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, so much goodness to look froward to, can't wait! And great new look, btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kate: You've listed a few of my childhood favorites! I must admit, I've strayed away from the picture books.

    @Lady: Yes, there will be a lot going on. And thank you :) hopefully this one will stay for the year. I do a lot of mind-changing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please review The Count of Monte Cristo! It's my 2nd favorite book. We named our first daughter Mercedes. I've loved it since I was 11, and I'd love to see what you think of it.

    You know, when you get time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get to the Count of Monte Cristo. I kind of cheated and ended up seeing the movie before I read the book (in all fairness, it was a class movie) so I told myself I had to read it. I'm currently indulged in summer reading, but afterwards I'll make sure that I start.

      Delete