Thursday, January 5, 2012

Weekly Lit Quote

I always have a "quote of the week" on my personal blog, On Page Whatever, and so I figured that I might also bring it to my lit blog. Most weeks, a quote will come to me out of the pages of whatever I'm reading (or have already read) and why withhold it from you? Perhaps it's something you needed to hear just like often times the greatest quotes come to me when I need them. So today's quote:
"Know, that in the course of your future life you will often find yourself elected the involuntary confident of your acquaintances’ secrets: people will instinctively find out, as I have done, that it is not your forte to tell of yourself, but to listen while others talk of themselves; they will feel, too, that you listen with no malevolent scorn of their indiscretion, but with a kind innate sympathy; not the less comforting and encouraging because it is very unobtrusive in its manifestations." --Edward Fairfax Rochester (Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte)

No comments:

Post a Comment