Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wuthering Heights 2011 Trailer

The news isn't new, so I don't have to trouble myself with announcing it. Yes, the new trailer for Wuthering Heights has been released.



My sole purpose in writing this post is (as always) to share what opinions I have to give. The first time I watched this the dominant question in my mind was, "Can this really be called a trailer?"

Oh yes it can. Not an average, trailer of course. But then, Miss Andrea Arnold isn't an average director (or average human for that matter...did anyone see what she wore to the Venice Film Festival?). I'm sure that this trailer echoes the movie, which once again proves my assumption correct. This film is going to portray the Bronte world realistically, and with that reality will come cruelty. We thought Cary Fukunaga's Jane Eyre was harsh just because poor Jane got hit upside the head with a book? I don't think any of that will compare to what this movie will be with its animalistic sex scenes, primitive passions, and feral Yorkshire wildlife shot with the blatancy of a handheld camera.

I can also pretty much assume that I was right about the whole "no dialogue" thing. One sentence in the trailer? I've never seen that before (and I don't believe I've ever witnessed a trailer without a soundtrack behind it either).

This movie will be an interesting piece to watch. I don't think that Andrea was going for faithfulness to the romantic dialogue of the source material here, but to the wildness of both the environment and the emotions of the characters. This won't be your regular old Wuthering Heights adaptation. It is taking a new approach; an approach that might be the 19th century equivalent of Andrea Arnold's Fish Tank. No details are spared. We will be forced to get a glimpse of the real world is it was for Heathcliff and Cathy. 

2 comments:

  1. Wuthering Heights is a very tragic love story. It tells of how strong and everlasting love can actually be. The charcters are selfish horrible people but that's what keeps you interested. Heathcliff's and Cathy's only redeeming quality, in my opinon, is their love. It's one of the greatest love stories of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Eesti: I'm really just beginning to understand what readers love about Wuthering Heights. In world as brutal and raw as the one Cathy and Heathcliff live in, the fact that there is such a passion between the characters is what drives the novel.

    ReplyDelete